Saturday, September 26, 2009

Southern Ohio Tour 9/24/09

I was up today at 3:30 and was out the door at 5 as Ann was going to drop me off below Columbus and I would head east. She dropped me off and I hung around until it got light enough to safely ride and still be seen. At 7:05 I deemed it safe to ride so I turned on the rear flasher and I was off. It was cloudy and they were calling for rain, but it never materialized until towards the end of the ride. I had a few sprinkles, but nothing that got me soaked as it was more of a damp ending.

I marked a route on the map and didn't really scour it like I normally do thinking I'll leave room to wing it. Later as I was looking at the name of a couple roads I noticed I was going on Chicken Koop Road! Then I saw Savage and Revenge Roads and I knew I was in trouble! These roads are three of the toughest three climbs on CFC, which is the hardest organized ride that I've ridden. So I hit Revenge and it was really hard as I pulled BOB weighing in at 52 pounds, but I'm feeling pretty strong as I always try and peak at this time of year for the CFC ride. I rode CFC for 18 years straight and then missed the last three years. One for my XC trip and then apathy the other two years. This year I felt like I rode it as I covered a lot of their route plus was dragging a 52 pound BOB up them and suffered like a dog! I was on Savage and missed the turn over to Chicken Koop, I swear it was accidental, and continued on Savage and I'll admit I had to walk a short portion of the steepest pitch! I actually had to push the bent twice today.

I finally got to Burr Oak and was really looking forward to a shower. I saw the sign for Burr Oak campground and turned up yet another hill to the campground and pulled in just happy that I was there and that I could really rest. So as I rode through the campground I saw outhouses, but no showers. I decided a sponge bath was better than nothing and I had the campground to myself, and it was lightly raining so I threw my tent up on a secluded site, took my sponge bath and felt a little better. Then cooked some dinner and wrote in my journal and listened to my MP3 player for a short while and fell asleep between 8 and 9 and slept until 6:30. I slept pretty good and it rained all night, but not too hard. I packed up the wet tent as it had quit raining before I got up. Cooked a little breakfast and headed out to Athens.

I had a couple setbacks right from the start as I found out I had stayed at Wayne National Forest Campground, Burr Oak and not the Burr Oak State Campground which was just a little distance on down the road, oh well. I had a nice camp site so I'm not complaining. Then the road I had planned to take out of there was gravel so I headed back out to Rt 13 and headed south. I asked one woman where a certain road turned off Rt 13 and she said, "go down by the Kroger's, now you can't see the Kroger's, but........", you just have to love it. So I soon got on a less busy road and started east towards Marietta. I lost my sunglasses along the way so I need to get a pair of those today. I got to Marietta and caused a traffic jam on the way to Ann's folks house, which they were caught in until they passed me. So today is a rest day as I decide what to do with more rain coming. I ended up with 94 miles Thursday and I know I had about 6000 feet of climbing. Then yesterday I didn't have my bike computer as I packed it up in my tent and was not going to unpack everything to get it. So I'm estimating yesterdays mileage at 65 to 70 with another epic climbing day.

No comments: